Ware Farms

Speaking truth to prejudice

Sunday, March 26, 2006

|

Pitts Opines on Quoting the Bible Selectively

Leonard Pitts Jr., a columnist for The Miami Herald, opines about an incident at Miami Sunset Senior High. After describing the incident, he observes:
My biggest frustration lies elsewhere. Put simply, I’ve had it up to here with the moral hypocrisy and intellectual constipation of Bible literalists.

My, my. It sounds like he's miffed. After a few paragraphs about that, he mentions how religionists seem to fixate on one or two hot button issues and continues:
Meantime, people are ignorant in Appalachia, strung out in Miami, starving in Niger, sex slaves in India, mass murdered in Darfur. Where is the Christian outrage about that?

Just once, I’d like to read a headline that said a Christian group was boycotting to feed the hungry. Or marching to house the homeless. Or pushing Congress to provide the poor with health care worthy of the name.

Instead, they fixate on keeping the gay in their place. Which makes me question their priorities. And their compassion. And their faith.

The piece is titled "Thou shalt not quote the Bible selectively" and is also reprinted here.

4 Comments:

At 4/02/2006 11:27 PM, Blogger DuWayne Brayton said...

This was a great piece. I have only recently re-embraced my faith to it's fullest after 15 years of hesitence and embarassment to admit I was a Christian. My dim view of what many folks do in the name of my God has not changed however. . .

 
At 4/03/2006 1:23 PM, Blogger Bill Ware said...

Yes Duwayne, it's a pity. One may want to raise their children with a true Christian upbringing without all the anti-this anti-that baggage, but where does one find such a Chruch here in rural East Tennessee?

 
At 4/03/2006 8:21 PM, Blogger DuWayne Brayton said...

I lucked out and my son's mom decided she wanted to live in Portland OR. Odd coincidence, her sister recently moved somewhere in east central Tenessee. She wanted us to move there because there were a lot of good jobs where she and her family went. Part of what brought me back into embracing my faith was the great church we found. I don't always agree with everything my church would consider "truth" but they love my son and I anyways - and accept us, me into a leadership position. A couple of the men from the church have befriended my roomie and are trying to convince him to visit, he's one of those guys you don't even question it - he's gay. Soem of the folks at my church may not believe being gay isn't living in sin but even they don't get judgmental.

 
At 4/03/2006 10:10 PM, Blogger Bill Ware said...

Duwayne,

Glad you found a wholesome church for you and your boy. Churches who send some people away seem to be missing the point. Oh, well. It's their loss, I'm sure.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home