Ware Farms

Speaking truth to prejudice

Friday, April 14, 2006

|

The Christian? Right?

Jim Johnson takes note of how derisively a former member of a Christian band was treated by his erstwhile friends after revealing he was gay. Jim ends:
Fortunately, not all Christians are like that, but sadly far too many do behave that way. You know, the Golden Rule isn't just a nice saying, it's biblical:

John 13:34 (NIV) Jesus says "A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.

Did you notice that there are NO qualifiers in that command. If we are truly seeking Christ's will for our lives, that's how we treat other people; so simple yet so difficult for many "godly" people.

I certainly agree.

In the 1970's, I visited a Jewish co-worker's home and noticed his wife had a bumper sticker on her car which read:

"The Moral Majority is neither"

I got a bit of a chuckle our of that. Thirty years later it appears we need an update:

"The Christian Right is neither"

Any suggestions as to where I could get one?

Update: Bumper Stickers abound. I got a chuckle from this one:

I'm for the separation of
---CHURCH & HATE---

Any readers have their favorites?

3 Comments:

At 4/17/2006 6:32 AM, Blogger Bill Ware said...

Those of us who read the Bible need to take more notice of Christ's sermon on the mount and pay less attention to Paul's letter to the Romans.

 
At 4/18/2006 4:52 PM, Blogger DuWayne Brayton said...

I have to admit that my favorite is not religious in nature but I love "subvert the Dominant Paradigm." The best I've come up with include, "Teh unconventional is Inevitable" to which I have added "My buddy Jesus is Unconventional." I have considered but realized that the following is very judgmental and beyond my reckoning; "Mr. Falwell and Mr. Dobson should remember the Pharisee's."

I hope you had as blessed a celebration of the resurection as my son and I did. It was a wonderful day filled with joy and some good discussion about Jesus. We spent the last week discussing the life, death and resurection of Christ. He had a lot of questions and still does but I think it has gone a long ways toward him building a powerful foundation of faith. I have even caught him getting agitated and when I call him on it instead of going into a fit he says, "God, umm, could you help me not throw a fit and behave a little better? In Jesus name, Amen."

 
At 4/19/2006 12:04 AM, Blogger Christine Bakke said...

I have the "separation of church and hate" one on my truck...as well as "God is not a republican...or a democrat!"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home