Ware Farms

Speaking truth to prejudice

Wednesday, April 05, 2006

|

Gays v Adulterers

Meanwhile, back at the Charisma Online forum that I posted about earlier, I posted this comment:

Star has a good point. There is a world of difference between being gay and being an adulterer. An adulterer is someone who, later in life, decides to break the vow he or she has taken to remain in a monogamous relationship with hsr spouse and have sex with someone else. In contrast, being gay is an essential part of one's existence from birth. It is not a decision one can make one way or the other.

We all celebrate love, sex and marriage for heterosexual couples since we understand that these things are a natural part of what it means to be human. We need to acknowledge this same basic understanding for lesbians and gays, even though their choice of that "one special person" is someone of the same gender.

Gays and lesbians are human beings, too, and the sooner we treat them with the understanding and respect they deserve, the better it will be for all of us.

BTW, Jim Johnson is not gay (and neither am I, but thanks for the compliment). He and his lovely wife, Brenda, are a heterosexual couple who attend a gay affirming church in Virginia. As a Christian, I'm pleased to see this upsurge in the number of churches, like Jim's, who treat gays like neighbors, as Jesus taught us. I hope this trend will continue.

Update: I mentioned the Apostle Paul in this previous posting.

Some may find this comment in my previous post interesting.

5 Comments:

At 4/05/2006 3:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you mentioned the fallability of Paul on the last thread.

That was the point I was so inarticulately trying to express.

 
At 4/06/2006 2:18 AM, Blogger DuWayne Brayton said...

What a thread, I have barely scratched the surface, yet noticed an awfull lot of folks who seem to think they speak for God. I just have to say, I don't worship a God of hate - period.

I just wanted to let you know, I appreciate it when I find people who share my faith and my views on equality. My son and I have added you to our prayer list, along with Jim.

 
At 4/06/2006 10:16 AM, Blogger Bill Ware said...

Duwayne said, "My son and I have added you to our prayer list, along with Jim."

I feel humbled and honored by your generousity of spirit.

 
At 4/10/2006 8:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kiltie,

Of course not.

As I have said before, we all do the same thing.


We read the bible through the lens of our own world view.

If the a portion of the Bible conflicts with our world view, we either ignore it, or examine the text in a way to justify that "it doesn't really mean that"

 
At 7/06/2022 6:28 PM, Anonymous Zane said...

This wass great to read

 

Post a Comment

<< Home